Wednesday, March 30, 2011

3/27/11 Out metal detecting in the woods

I had a few hours to kill so I decided to go back out to the woods and see what else I could find with my metal detector. I was out for maybe 4 hours and only good find was an 1888 Indian Head Cent but to get that I also had a pocket full of shell casings. Well I was moving along when I got a high pitched bouncy signal that was jumping from coin all the way over to iron. I wasn't positive if it was going to even be something good but my gut told me to dig this target. My metal detector said it was down at about 8 inches but no matter what I did I could not pinpoint the target so I just guessed where I thought the center was and started digging.

Well down about 8 inches deep I have to say that I was surprised to see the rim of a large copper (its the same size as a US half dollar), I instantly thought that I found my 1st Large Cent for the year (that would be my 2nd ever found while metal detecting). I quickly pulled it out and seen that my shovel caught it a few times so I was a bit discouraged with myself. I dropped it into my water bottle and was surprised again to see a coin that I have never seen before,  it was a 1904 French 10c coin in perfect condition minus the new marks I made with my shovel. Its not the coin I was hoping to find but I have to say that I am very happy to of found it, this is definitely one of the prettiest coins that I have ever dug. Happy Hunting everybody!

(click on the image to enlarge it)

2 comments:

  1. Nice find - the woods are good to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea this is a little hotspot that we found by the river. Tons of busted hutch bottles all over the ground so you know that place has some goodies just waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete